What is Commuter?
Commuter is simulation modelling software which analyses door-to-door trips made by people. The analysis includes all segments of that trip:
- walking segments: for example, from home to station, or parking to office
- self-driven segments: for example, from driveway to city-centre parking
- public transport segments: for example, suburban station to city-centre
Each person in the simulation makes dynamic route choice decisions, not only between possible routes of the same mode, but between different modes. Some example dynamic route-choice decisions modelled in Commuter are:
- The motorway looks busy: I'll take the next exit, go to the "Park & ride", and take the bus to the city centre.
- The train is late: I'll walk to George St and get a bus to my destination.
- It's raining: I'll walk through the shopping mall to the parking and drive to the meeting instead of taking the train.
Commuter analyses the performance of each design by measuring efficiency and cost-effectiveness. This allows you to choose the best design from all proposed alternatives and to further optimize the chosen design.